Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Dinner

Last night we ate at Le Meritage (formerly Dominique's) in the Maison Dupuy on Toulouse in the Quarter for Valentine's. My sister (who I can't thank enough) had gotten me a gift certificate for Christmas and we had been looking forward to it for a while. There was a set Valentine's Day prix-fixe menu but we opted for the normal menu.

Each dish is paired with a glass of wine and you can get large or small plates. We both did a small salad, soup, and entree.

I'll apologize now for not getting a picture of everything and the lighting not being great but we got some good ones I think.

First they sent out a complimentary starter appetizer. It was like a tiny little cheese and egg omelet. Here is an incredibly blurry picture of it!


First course (sorry no picture) was a arugula salad with grapefruit, apples, goat cheese, pine nuts, and a little avocado. Kerry got a glass of Moet-Chandon with it that she drank with her dinner (I got a half glass).

Second course (..... sorry) was a Corn and Crab bisque. It was really good. It wasn't as creamy as a standard bisque but was really good and sweet with lots of crab. And it was good with the rolls that they brought us. I had a glass of Chardonnay with it that I drank with dinner. Now onto something we can show you...

Kerry had the Grouper served over quinoa (I just looked this up on the menu, I think it is kind of like couscous dish, you can see it in the picture below [definition according to dictionary.com]). It was served with three sauces, one of which was a compounded red wine butter sauce (top left in the photo) that was really good. I think she liked it, I had a bite and I liked it.


I had the Flat Iron Steak cooked medium rare and it was good and I ate it all. It came with pickled Louisiana Cucumber and was in a red wine sauce. Here is what it looked like before I ate it.

The half sizes really worked out well, we could try a few different things and still had a little room left for a Valentine's Day Dessert. We went with the Chocolate Pot. It was good and rich and a great way to end a good meal. Plus it came with a gigantic chocolate covered strawberry and some macadamia nuts.


Just in case you were wondering we went to Circle Bar in Lee Circle afterward and took this dark and shadowy picture of us in a nook while we drank an Abita, a PBR, and a incredibly strong Absolut Mandarin and Sprite.


On the whole it was a great night, we had a great dinner and Kerry got compliments on her dress, and I got a book on cooking with beer and Kerry got roses and looked very pretty. I hope everyone else had as good a Valentines Day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment