Thursday, December 31, 2009

Healthy Eating Series: #3 Cabana Grill





If the three "Open" signs in the window didn't tip you off then let me be the first to let you know... Cabana Grill (no joke... that's the website printed on the menus) on St. Charles Uptown has opened up.  Its a nice place with a friendly staff and a island theme.  Thanks to the good people over at Cabana I can finally let you know about a place that is 1. healthy and 2. has some pretty decent food.

Kerry and I went after I picked her up at the airport and we were pretty impressed with the menu.  There were plenty of things I wanted to order and there really are plenty of pretty good healthy options.  They have around 7 or 8 salads and a number of lighter sandwiches.



I went with the Island Chopped Salad.  Chopped lettuce, field greens, corn, edamame, tomatoes, topped with honey pecans and smoked turkey (substituted chicken) in a vinaigrette.  It was pretty good and pretty filling.  My only real compliant was that the chicken was a little dry and a little bland but I substituted it in so I have a hard time complaining too much.




 Kerry had the avocado egg-rolls.  I'm not sure how healthy they are but they were awesome and not only because they came with two different dipping sauces. 

It was a pretty good experience on the whole and a nice new option in the neighborhood.  Good menu, nice space, great lemonade and the staff was really helpful and very nice.  The only thing that was a little weird is it seconds as a oddly stocked convenience store.  Right in the middle of the restaurant they have shelves stocked with cans of soup, bags of sugar, and squeezable icing.  Don't believe me? 


 
Ha!  Don't believe that sucka.  All joking aside though, it wasn't a bad lunch and definitely had some healthy options.  It's worth a try.  So go try it already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment