Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Boucherie



Boucherie lives on Jeannette. Lots of people love Boucherie -- like, really dig it. We had dinner there a few months ago and were not bowled over, but that didn't mean it wasn't worth another try. At least another try at lunch. Especially because I do like the tiny 12 hour roast beef po-boys they serve out of that purple truck.



They started us out with an amuse which was nice. I'm not sure I've ever gotten an amuse at lunch before. It was a perfect one-bite size and included duck, red beans, and a coriander creme which was my favorite part.



For an appetizer we got the French Fries with garlic butter and Parmesan Reggiano. They were the most memorable part of our first trip to Boucherie, so it was a must to order them again. We cleaned our plate, mainly because french fries are delicious and adding butter and cheese only makes that more true.



And since I'm a creature of habit I did actually get the 12 hour roast beef po-boy. Judge me if you want but it comes with pickled red onions and horseradish cream, and who can argue with that? And the bread is really good too. Though, I'll be honest, by the end it was a little much. There is a big difference between eating a whole one and the smaller ones they offer at festivals. But hey... no regrets. If I had it to do again I would have made the same call.



Kerry had the white peppercorn smoked scallops with sweet potatoes and a Steen's Molasses Veloute (just gonna pretend I know what that means). The scallops were huge and cooked perfectly, and the mashed potatoes beneath were roasted and topped with scallions to create a savory accompaniment rather than cloyingly sweet (which sometimes happens with sweet potatoes). The dish came with some fried ginger on top, which was crunchy and flavorful and not something we'd seen before. Seems like the new trend is serving seafood with sweet potatoes. It seems weird to me, but I guess people smarter than me know what they are doing.

Either way I think it's fair to say Boucherie redeemed itself in our eyes. Definitely a good place for lunch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment